New Addition Planned for Slifer House

A 1,200 square foot addition is coming to the Slifer House on the campus of RiverWoods Senior Living Community. The addition will feature a serving kitchen and bathrooms that can be utilized for events including meetings, lectures, educational programs, music performances, movies and luncheons. Also a covered ramp will be added to make the first floor handicapped accessible. The project may begin as soon as fall of 2018 and should be functional in 2019.

The Slifer House closed in December 2017, after serving as a house museum for 43 years. Albright Care Services and RiverWoods Senior Living Community are committed to protecting the historic value and architecture of the house. The museum collection that holds relevance to the United Evangelical Home, Evangelical Hospital or Colonel John Slifer will remain on site. While construction is ongoing, the Slifer House Concert Series will continue at a temporary location on campus near RidgeCrest.

The Slifer House was built in 1860 by Eli Slifer, Secretary of the Commonwealth. This was his family home, which he shared with his wife Catharine and their six children. The home was a 21 room country mansion with classic Tuscan Architecture.

In 1908, the Ross Family moved into the home and Dr. Ross practiced socialized medicine and saw patients at the Slifer House. He then moved to downtown Lewisburg and United Evangelical Church purchased the Slifer House in 1916. They gave the home a new name, The United Evangelical Home and built dormitories for their residents. Evangelical Hospital began at the home, but eventually moved across Route 15 in the early 1950’s.

Soon other buildings were erected surrounding the Slifer House for nursing and residential living and the dormitories were demolished. The house was empty once the hospital moved and was converted into the Slifer House Museum. In recent years, fewer visitors came to the museum and the building upkeep and museum maintenance was a demanding financial commitment that could not be sustained. It was decided the museum would be better utilized as a multi-purpose facility.

Donations are still welcome for the building project, the 12-month music concert series, the educational programming for all ages and the gardens that surround the historic home. If you would like to be involved in the transition of the house, please contact Fran Ashby at fran.ashby@AlbrightCare.org or call 570-522-3880.